BluePearl in San Antonio, TX is hiring an experienced Veterinary Technician for our Critical Care and Emergency team. Ideal candidate will have the ability to critically think during stressful situations while remaining calm. Will need to have experience placing I.V. Catheters, performing CPR, running labs and drug calculation.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
It is recognized that some skills may not be performed at all hospitals. The veterinary technician is expected to complete skills in accordance with the hospital’s policies.
• Triage and obtain patient history
• Placing intravenous catheters as well as central lines
• Perform radiographs
• Inducing and monitoring anesthesia for advanced diagnostic procedures such as endoscopy and CT
• Intensive treatment and patient care
• Prepare prescriptions and communicate discharge orders to clients
• Maintains proficiency at Veterinary Tech Level 1 clinical skills and competencies.
• Compassionately, calmly and gently approaches and handles patients.
• Approaches and handles patients according to safety protocols and core values.
• Interprets and completes in-patient and out-patient work up requests by veterinarian with in their skill set.
• Ability to use power scaling units and hand instruments during procedures.
• Able to perform prophylactic (thorough) dental cleanings and oral examination in canines and felines.
• Demonstrates the appropriate use of hand instruments and power scaling units.
• Able to appropriately utilize cold sterilization.
• Ability to clean, appropriately wrap, and sterilize instruments.
• Appropriately clean and store dental delivery systems and equipment.
• Ability to identify instruments and their use sequence in:
• Ability to set up for routine procedures
• Induce, monitor and recover anesthesia in patients assigned ASA II & III classification.
• Accurately and completely prepare and maintain anesthetic monitoring forms.
• Able to obtain and interpret blood pressure and alert veterinarian to changes and issues.
• Appropriately use external warming devices (hot air blankets, warming cages, fluid warms, etc.)
• Set up constant rate infusions (CRI).
• Able to place peripheral over-the-needle catheter in all peripheral vessels.
• Appropriately restrain aggressive canine and feline patients.
• Recognition abnormal heart and lung sounds.
• Ability to maintain all feeding tubes
• Accurately calculates all medical math including advanced and CRI (mcg/mg, %/mg, etc).
• Recognizes patients at risk for arrest and initiates CPR according to R.E.C.O.V.E.R guidelines.
• Oversees and guides technician level I with clinical tasks.
• Able to perform, interpret and alert veterinarian to changes and issues with blood pressure.
• Ability to use and maintain all feeding tubes.
• Additional job duties as assigned.
• Diagnosis and Prognosis.
• Prescribe medications.
• Perform surgery, including dental extraction.
• Please refer and adhere to state-specific restrictions when applicable.
• Current certification/license in veterinary technology.
• Mastery of Tech Level I competencies and maintains proficiency.
• Experience working in a veterinary practice preferred.
• High School graduate.
• Strong interpersonal skills: able to communicate effectively with clients, doctors, management, hospital personnel, tenant specialists, consulting professionals and clients.
• Strong organizational/time management skills: able to set, prioritize and attain goals with attention to detail.
• Strong professional development skills: able to complete continue education in the field of veterinary medicine concurrently with job description.
• Strong sense of integrity: able to maintain highest ethical standards, personal responsibility and accountability and confidentiality of clients, doctors, and all staff.
• Strong analytical thinking skills: ability to use objective data to solve problems/create solutions.
• Follows and upholds the veterinary technology profession’s ethical codes.
• Adhere to and lead by the Five Principles.
SPECIAL WORKING CONDITIONS
• Ability to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, and climb as well as manipulate (lift, carry, and move) up to 50 pounds. Lifting higher weights requires requesting assistance from another associate.
• Requires good hand-eye coordination, arm-hand-finger dexterity with the ability to grasp, and visual acuity to use a keyboard and operate necessary equipment.
• Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form and to solve problems involving several variables.
• Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision.
• Occasionally exposed to airborne particles and illness from patients and chemicals related to animal care and office equipment.
• The noise level in the work environment is normally moderate.
• Environment where pets are present.
• The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Who are we? BluePearl Veterinary Partners grew from the dreams of numerous veterinarians who believed pets should have access to high quality, cutting edge healthcare.
We are seeking hospital support with the same philosophy who are looking to grow their career in an exciting environment with a family atmosphere!
Your success is our success! At BluePearl, the continued education of our techs is paramount. Not only do our techs get to work in state of the art facilities with the best veterinary teams in the nation, but they also have access 90% paid scholarships with Penn Foster and CE allowances. We also go even further to hold monthly CE meetings, associate feedback sessions, and opportunities for mentorship and cross-training.
Additional Benefits: BluePearl offers health benefits options, competitive compensation, flexible hours, scrub allowance, opportunity to bring your dog to work, additional training, and unlimited growth potential!
Why our San Antonio Sonterra location? Our BluePearl veterinary hospital in San Antonio on Sonterra Boulevard serves the San Antonio metropolitan area and was the first specialty veterinary hospital established in the area. The approximately 19,000-square-foot hospital houses a variety of therapeutic and diagnostic options, including an on-site MRI, CT scanner, ultrasound and fluoroscopy. Board-certified specialists offer a multitude of services, such as neurology, critical care, internal medicine, rehabilitation, oncology and surgery. This hospital also houses BluePearl’s Emergency Pet Center, which provides emergency medical care, including advanced diagnostics and therapeutics, diagnostic imaging, nutritional support and surgery.
Click here to learn more about the great city of San Antonio!
Click here to learn more about our San Antonio Sonterra hospital!
Like us on Facebook to learn about BluePearl events and career opportunities!
BluePearl is committed to a diverse work environment in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, creed, sex, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, sexual or affectional preference, or gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process because of a disability, it is available upon request. The company is pleased to provide such assistance, and no applicant will be penalized as a result of such a request. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Drug Free Workplace.